Having witnessed this phenomenon more than once personally and to decent dudes I've known, I've often pondered why it is that otherwise smart women often seem to cast aside totally nice and loving guys to persue total douchebags, only to get cast aside themselves in the end. There must be a reason. Or maybe ten of them...
10) More fun to complain about them to your friends.
9) Guys who actually like you just aren't challenging or exciting.
8) When you do date nice guys, they turn into jerks anyway, so why not save time and go for the jerk in the first place?
7) You won't get as emotionally attached to a jerk, so you'll be more in control.
6) All the other women want them, so they must be worth having.
5) Affection means more when it comes from a guy who doesn't normally give it.
4) Guaranteed to cheat on you so someone else can endure his lack of lovemaking skills most of the time.
3) No need to feel guilty for abusing or deceiving them.
2) Jerks will actually tell you when they don't like what you're doing instead of getting mad about it six months later.
1) Looking for someone you can't trust, and won't care about too much, who will abuse you mentally and financially, but you don't know any lawyers.
One dude's view:
And one woman's perspective: